The Delta Chi Fraternity was organized in summer 1908 by eight men at The University of Chattanooga.
W.H. Stephens, a student from Florida, founded the local fraternity.
Delta Chi represents the oldest fraternal organization on the University campus.
At the time of its founding, the University was a theological institute, and fraternities were prohibited.
This resulted in keeping the officers secret to avoid expulsion, which practice was carried out until the 1940s. The officers were made public only after they had served their terms and new officers were elected.
The entire membership of Delta Chi joined World War I. After the war, it was reorganized.
The membership joined World War II in 1942 and in the spring of 1946, returning members reorganized again.
In 1947, there were 17 acres and 17 buildings on campus, including the observatory which is still in Brainerd.
There are now 78 buildings and 116 acres.
There were 1,723 students in 1947. There are now 8,689.
In 1947, there were 31 active Delta Chis and seven Sigma Chis on campus. There were 800 Delta Chi alumni.
Five of the UC board of trustees were Delta Chis.
Fraternities on campus at the time were Alpha Lambda Tau and Theta Chi.
Sororities on campus were Alpha Delta Pi, Chi Omega, Kappa Delta, Phi Mu, and Pi Beta Phi.
The President of UC was Dr. David A. Lockmiller (Sigma Chi, NC State, 1927),
who entered the Chapter Eternal during the winter of 2005.
Some of the more noteworthy names on the petition to form a Sigma Chi chapter:
Dorthy Harris Woodworth, Sigma Chi awards a scholarship in her name to a junior female student every year.
S.F. Bretske, for whom Bretske Hall is named.
John S. Fletcher, for whom Fletcher Hall is named.
Morrow Chamberlain, Chamberlain Field is named for his father.
Delta Theta's installation took place on Friday and Saturday, May 16-17, 1947.
Approximately 115 men were initiated.
Lee Anderson was the first Consul and graduated soon after.
In 1948 Lee Anderson was voted to take control of helping to find a house, and 901 Oak Street was acquired. The house was built prior to WWI. Anderson is the Associate Publisher of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, where he has worked since he was 16-years-old
Delta Theta has had Derby Days since 1950, one of the oldest in the country.
Derby Days was started by UTK and UCLA in the 1920's.
In 1965, Brother Joel Cunningham was named the International Balfour Award winner.
To date he is the only Delta Theta to win the award.
Cunningham was the Grand Consul of Sigma Chi from 1991 - 1993.
He is now the President of University of the South in Sewanee, Tenn.
The Delta Theta chapter house burned to the ground on April 18, 1998.
Fortunately, no one was killed, however Brother Eric Kirkland was injured and
Tobi Gray, a Sweetheart of the chapter, were seriously injured.
Significant Sigs of the Delta Theta Chapter
B. Carroll Reese '10
Lee Anderson '48
Joel Cunningham '65
Gavin Maloof '78
Chief Justice William Mickey Barker '64
Order of Constantine members from the Delta Theta Chapter
Joel Cunningham ‘65
David Everett, former Head of Sigma Chi Fraternity’s Team Balfour
Jack Widener, Director of Distribution of Newsweek Magazine
J. Dwight Peterson Significant Chapter Award
Delta Theta Chapter won the award in 1982 and 1991.
James F. Bash Significant Improvement Award
Delta Theta won the award in 2000 and 2001.
There are more than 1,000 Brothers of the Delta Theta Chapter.
19% of Delta Thetas are Life Loyal Sigs.
Some Other Mentionables
Gavin Maloof – co-owner of the Sacramento Kings
Thomas Drake - Speaker of the Alabama House, 1983-87
Dr. Jim Gross - UTC Distinguished Alumnus
Jimmy Dillingham - Korean War KIA
Earl Marler - Chairman of the Board of Cornerstone Bank since 1996.
Joe Lee Dunn – Defensive Football Coordinator at the University of Memphis
Ken Meyer - former State Rep., now Deputy Assistant Secretary U.S. Dept. of Educ.
Bob Lees - "The King of Industrial Musicals" (Kodak, Kraft, IBM and AT&T)
Greg Eaves, V.P. Finance, Electric Power Board of Chattanooga
Delta Theta had the most Brothers from one chapter serving in Desert Storm with eight.
The Chattanooga Alumni Chapter Website www.sigalum.com
was the first alumni website featured in The Magazine of Sigma Chi.
Delta Theta won the UTC Greek Show three years in a row, 2002, 2003 and 2004, the first for any fraternity on UTC campus. The chapter won again in 2006.
Delta Theta won the 2005-06 Overall Greek Intramural Championship.
The Delta Theta chapter opened its $650,000 house on Siskin Drive in May 2004.
The house features 10 individual bedrooms, a full basement, chapter room, full kitchen and a wrap-around porch.
Information Provided By: Erik Gray, Delta Theta '96
We are always looking for additions and notes!